I read Roger Stone’s Nixon’s Secrets: The Rise, Fall, and Untold Truth about the President, Watergate and the Pardon. My opinion of Richard Nixon has changed. I now admire him in some ways.
People have overlooked his accomplishments as president because of the Watergate scandal. Here are some of them:
- He ended the draft making service in the military voluntary
- He founded The Environmental Protection Agency
- He initiated the peaceful desegregation of southern schools
- He signed Title IX stopping gender bias opening the door for women in collegiate sports
- He was the first American President to give American Indians the right of tribal self-determination
- He participated in the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT) with Russia to reduce tensions in the Cold War
- He signed the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty
- He was the first American President to visit China
- He Supported Israel with massive aid in the 1973 Yom Kippur War
- He ended the Vietnam War
I most admire his perseverance. He never gave up after all of his political defeats. Even after Watergate he managed to stay alive politically.
“Defeat doesn’t finish a man, quit does. A man is not finished when he’s defeated. He’s finished when he quits.”
– Richard Nixon (January 9, 1913 – April 22, 1994)